Labels and Certificates
What is Belgian Linen™?
The Belgian Linen™ label stands for linen fabrics that are woven in Belgium with European flax yarn. To obtain the label, the linen has to comply to these criteria:
- The linen fabric has to be woven in Belgium
- At least 85% of the weight of the flax used has to be natural flax fibers of EU-origin
Belgian Linen stands for traditional craftsmanship at the highest possible standards. Linen is one of the most durable and sustainable fibers in the world. By combining these natural qualities with traditional craftsmanship, Belgian Linen™ products are known to have a high level of comfort, quality and durability. Libeco is committed to creating Belgian Linen with the most eco-friendly, sustainable, green processes possible. By buying Belgian Linen products, you are assured of linen that will last a lifetime.
What is "Belgian Flax Linen" or "European Flax Linen"?
These labels suggest that the products are produced with flax grown in Belgium or Europe. However, these labels do not guarantee that the fabric is woven by Belgian weavers , as they are not synonymous with Belgian Linen™. Be aware that these linen products are mostly produced outside of Europe, not adhering to the same strict quality standards applied in our Belgian mill.
The Belgian Linen™ label was launched for the first time in 1960 by the Belgian Linen Association. They have been governing the label ever since. Each product that carries a Belgian Linen™ label gets an original certificate and unique number. In this way you can trace the origin of your product. The Belgian Linen™ label is a guarantee of quality and should be sought after every time you buy Belgian Linen™.
What is Masters of Linen®?
Libeco is proud to be a member of the Masters of Linen® Club. Masters of Linen® is a registered mark. It is a sign of excellence for linen that is entirely made in Europe, from field to flax fiber, from yarn to linen fabric. The label is governed by the European Confederation of Linen and Hemp,uniting flax farmers, linen artisans and weavers. Some core values of the Masters of Linen® Club:
- 100% Made in Europe
- Corporate Social Responsibility
- European know-how and jobs
- Proximity: local cultivating and processing of flax
- Low carbon footprint
- Excellence in service and innovation
To ensure 100% European traceability of finished products, the spinners and weavers commit to a strict set of rules regarding their production and sourcing. Each year, audtis are performed by one of the approved certification bodies.
What is GOTS?
Libeco organic Belgian Linen is GOTS certified. The Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS) is recognized as the world's leading processing standard for textiles made from organic fibers. What makes it different from other certifications is that it includes a list of process-related criteria along the entire organic textiles supply chain. To obtain a certification, the product needs to comply with social criteria such as working conditions, pay, and stringent health and safety standards throughout the supply chain.
Flax is an extremely sustainable fiber. Here are some reasons why:
- It requires no irrigation: the flax plant loves the Belgian climate (wet and moderate). The natural circumstances are ideal for flax cultivation so the plant doesn’t need extra irrigation.
- No GMO's or crop protectors: the organic collections are made out of flax that is cultivated organically, without the use of GMOs, crop protectors or fertilizers.
- There is no waste: all parts of the flax plant can be used as a resource for other products.